Is there any way around ChexSystems when opening a bank account?
Confidence votes 1.0K
Getting Around ChexSystems
When a person applies for an account at a bank that uses Chexsystems and is denied, it shows up as an inquiry on your report. Too many inquiries on your report can cause Chexsystems to “flag” your account for suspicious activity. It is very important to know where you can and can not get an approval at prior to applying at a bank.
Here is more information from WikiAnswers Contributors:
- I was reported to chex system 2 months ago and I’m able to open a second chance Basic Checking account with Compass Bank. It is only $5/month and I get a Visa check card. Lots of banks are starting to offer these kinds of services, you just need to look around. It is a very good way to restart your credit history.
- All banks are linked through the chexsystem as far as I know. If the balance is still owed, you may not find anyone willing to open an account for you until it’s paid off. I believe you will be in Chexsystem for five years, then your name will be removed.
- There is hope. What you can do is write Chexsystem a letter stating your story. Depending on circumstances you may not be liable under the Fair Reporting Act.
- Well, I just found out that under most state laws a credit union cannot decline anyone that meets their membership requirements. This means that if you have bad credit they cannot decline you, but they can restrict your services. But if you need a savings account and a place to cash a check then they can do it.
- Second Chance Checking. Check availability in your area, some banks do offer this program for those of us that have outstanding items with chex systems.
There are several online companies that provide help in finding a bank after you’ve been reported to ChexSystems.
- Wells Fargo offers “opportunity checking” which is targeted for people who are on chexsystems, even if you still owe. There is a $12.00 monthly fee, and $2.00 credit if you get direct deposit.
- Guaranty Bank is one of the few that will open an account if you have 1 or less Chex system reports, as long as you don’t owe any money.
To dispute write to:
Chex Systems, Inc.
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125
By phone at 800-428-9623 or fax at 602-659-2197
If the reinvestigation does not resolve your dispute, you are entitled to request a brief statement be added to your consumer file outlining the nature of your dispute.
A list of non-chexsystems banks is on chexsystemsvictims.com
Minor edit? Save Cancel
Was this answer useful?
Yes Somewhat No
I opened an account at Bank Of America online. They don’t have any branches here but they have an ATM machine that takes deposits (even cash deposits). It i s at 733 Marquette Ave. Another bank is Wells Fargo, they offer an account called the Opportunity Package (MORE)
Bank of Dooly Bank Of Eastman Hamilton State Bank CB ?>